Wednesday 17 December 2014

First Female Church of England Bishop


Female Church of England Bishop
Somethings that we find impossible from the perspective of religion in this part of the world are always having their way in other climes especial our percieved position of women as homemakers in African societies.
The emergence of Reverend Libby Lane, 48, as the first female Bishop in the Anglican Church of England has brought to an end centuries of all-male leadership in the Church and comes a month after the Church approved legislation to allow women to become bishops.


The historic decision was made at the Anglican General Synod, with an overwhelming majority of members voting to allow the move.

The now rubber-stamped legislation was passed by the General Synod in July.

Mrs Lane will be consecrated as the 8th Bishop of Stockport at a ceremony at York Minster next month on January 26.

libby lane church of england first female bishopPA
Mrs Lane delivering her acceptance speech

Speaking at Stockport Town Hall today, she said: "It is a remarkable day for me and I realise a historic day for the Church.

"It is a remarkable day for me and I realise a historic day for the Church.
"I'm honoured and thankful to be called to serve as the next Bishop of Stockport and not a little daunted to be entrusted with such a ministry."

She added: "This announcement has been a long time coming and I'm extremely honoured to be nominated as the first bishop in the Church of England.

"And I'm very conscious of those who have gone before me, men and women... whose prayers and work in ministries have laid the work for today.

"I've no doubt that many will follow on from me and I look forward to the time when I'm still the first, but not the only, woman to be nominated as a bishop in the Church of England.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share this post with friends if you like it

The comments on this blog are not the opinion of the blog owner but that of those who read and comment on issues posted on this it.

Send any story or news you may want to be published on: newsburster@gmail.com .Its free