Wednesday 14 January 2015

How I lost my father and two brothers in Jos crisis


How I lost my father and two brothers

Life has really dealt with me and my family in the wave of incessant crisis that has bedeviled the Northern part of this country Nigeria.
My name is Joy ,a big victim of senseless killings in this country.As i write this,Im in tears remembering this terrible experience that has thrown my family into a perpetual trauma.This incident happened 2008 in Jos.Just like every other state,that day was slated for the conduct of local government election and every activity was halted by the state government to enable people come out and vote.
Election went on throughout the day ,seemingly successful except for few reports of irregularities.We were eagerly waiting to resume our normal life the next day.

In the night around 2am,shockingly and unexpectedly,sounds of gunshots and explosions started coming from different directions around our area called Nasarawa in Jos, Plateau state which is dominated by one tribe in the North.Smokes were seen going up from nearby suburbs but we could not tell what was going on.Confusion gripped me and my family.

While we were anxious to find out what was happening along with other people in our neighbourhood,Lo and behold, a group of angry youths who were in support of some candidates who possibly lost out in the election invaded our area burning buildings down and killing innocent and helpless people.Instantly,all of us scattered in different directions running for our life.I was lucky to take a path that was safe until i got to an area where policemen where rescuing victims.I lost contact with my family-all of them.

When I finally reunited with my mother after four days at the University of Jos Teaching Hospital where she was recieving treatment for matchet cuts,the whole world almost came to an end for me.She told me(crying)that my father and my only two brothers were killed   and  they were in the matuary located in the same hospital.I cried out my heart.

It did not end there.The only house where we lived and owned by my father  was burnt down to ashes,all my certificates and personal belongings burnt in the inferno.I was left with the only dress i wore that very night.I contemplated suicide because i saw no reason to continue but God saved me.
We only survived at the mercy of our church members,relations and friends who came to our rescue.

The only land where where our house was erected was sold for us to start life all over again and the rest is history.

You can imagine what life has been like after this experience but I thank God that I am still alive today.We are only three remaining in my family now ,all women, while the men were cut down by the devils.All of us have relocated to the east and I believe that the killers must surely meet their doom one day.

 Thanks for the oppurtunity you gave me to share.READ SIMILAR STORIES


Hmmmmmmm.What would I say but to encourage you to be strong because life can be cruel atimes but It shall be well especially now you are alive after all. 

1 comment:

  1. Oh my God! This is not true biko.Three people from the same family?

    ReplyDelete

Share this post with friends if you like it

The comments on this blog are not the opinion of the blog owner but that of those who read and comment on issues posted on this it.

Send any story or news you may want to be published on: newsburster@gmail.com .Its free